Friday, March 27, 2009

Get Lia's Heart Fixed... Check.

That was something I was very happy to check off my "to do" list.  All went well with Lia's heart surgery.  We checked in at Primary Children's Medical Center at 6 AM. Lia's surgery was scheduled for 7:30 AM.  We went through all the paperwork and blah, blah, blah. She looked so cute in her miniature hospital gown.  Handing her over to the nurse when it was time for her to go into surgery was seriously one of the hardest things I've had to do.  I was all shaky and teary.  I know these people are professionals and she is in very good hands, but they are strangers to me, and I'm pretty much trusting them with her life. So, about 2 1/2 hours later our pager went off and we went to meet with the doctor.  He said that Lia was very "interesting."  He explained that as they were doing the procedure, he was "tickling" her heart and the hole closed up on it's own.  He said they were all baffled.  They had never seen anything like this before, but he had a colleague who this had happened to once.  They were all scratching their heads and taking pictures of her heart from all different angles, when all of a sudden the hole in Lia's heart opened up even bigger than it was before.  Apparently that's amazing.  They implanted the metal coil device and that was that.  He was like a kid in a candy store talking about how fascinating the surgery was.  They told me Lia would be pretty cranky and upset, but she woke up smiling at the nurses and has just been doing better and better.  I'm so proud of my sweet little Lia.  Luckily, my cute niece Kylee has been staying with us and is a tremendous help.  This 10 year old is better than any nanny we could ever find.  We love you Ky.  Thanks for all your help.

13 comments:

SuzyO said...

Whew! I've been stalking your blog all day waiting for an update. I'm soooooo happy all went well.

Is Lia still at Primary's? (If so, when can she come home?)

MDtripmom said...

Wow, what a mini miracle! I'm so glad that Lia's surgery was a success and you're right about her looking super cute in that infant gown!

Countrylivn' said...

Thank goodness, I am glad that huge step is over! I remeber when Kylie was a baby, and she was all you could talk about, what a nice young woman she has turned into! Has it really been that long! Good luck recovering!

*A* said...

Whew! I've been thinking of you guys non stop and I'm SO glad things went well. I wonder if the other babies could feel her missing?

Kylee Darais said...

I'm soooo glad I get to stay with you!!!!! The babies are soooo cute!

TheShippenFamily said...

I am so glad it went well. I have been thinking about little Lia!

burgoyneteam said...

We've been thinking about you. I'm grateful all went well. What a sigh of relief!

Freeman Family said...

So glad it went well! It's amazing what they can do! I hope you took pictures after the surgery too. She will want those when she is older! I just dug mine out the other day to show the primary kids in my ward. They thought it was amazing!

angied said...

im glad everything went well. prayers really do work.

The Johnson Family said...

What a relief, I am so glad that all is well. I hope that her recovery is quick. I can not believe how big Kylie is...it is crazy!

Susan said...

I'm so glad that Lia's surgery is behind you! Her little hospital nightgown is adorable, we should have a few of those at the NICU...

Jen Panunzio said...

So glad everything went well!! :)

Jacob Jen n Behlie said...

what a blessing! i am so glad that she is doing well. your family has been in my prayes. and like ang said prayers really do work. your girls are beautiful!!