We finally know what we are dealing with. When Brynn was admitted to the hospital last week, she was tested for several viruses: RSV, Influenza, H1N1, etc. All came back negative. She was treated for Pneumonia, but it wasn't viral. It was assumed that one of the many head colds she has had in the past few months settled in her lungs and was exacerbated by her weak premature lungs. When Claire came down with the same symptoms and her illness seemed to be progressing exactly the same, things seemed suspicious. After Claire was admitted to Primary's, they tested for several other things and found the culprit: Human Metapneumovirus. It is a cousin to RSV and looks and acts the same way. It was a relief to know what this horrible thing was that is hospitalizing my children. I told Claire's Attending Physician at Primary's that Lia was starting to get this just like the other two have and I am very concerned about her as she has always had the weakest lungs and most trouble with her breathing from the day they were born. She told me that as soon as Lia starts wheezing, take her to her pediatrician and she wrote down numbers to call and all the info the pediatrician would need for a very quick admit to Primary's. Even though my pediatrician's office doesn't have "privileges" at Primary's, she provided me with all the info he would need to cut through the red tape and even her personal pager. This morning, sure enough, Lia was making some wheezing sounds when she was breathing. I called her pediatrician's office and made the first available appointment. Our regular pediatrician wasn't in, so we saw Dr. Dork. I've had to take my kids to him once before and was very under impressed with his bedside manner, but whatever. So, when I heard that we could only get in to see Dr. Idiot, I was dreading it, but thought it would be quick and straight forward. I have all the information he needs. I explained to him the situation: Lia's two sister have both been hospitalized, one was even life flighted and had to stay in the ICU. Lia's illness is following the exact same progression as her sisters did and I knew that with in 24 hours, she would be in very bad shape. I told him about the conversation that I had with Claire's Attending Physician and gave him the paper with all the information he needs to have her admitted. His reply was "She's stable. We don't admit stable children to the hospital." Ummmm... Ok Dr. Moron. LET ME EXPLAIN AGAIN THE SITUATION. After quite a bit of arguing, and telling him that considering Lia's history of prematurity and chronic lung disease and that her sisters have been hospitalized for this exact illness, it would be very reckless to wait until she also needs to be life flighted to be monitored and given treatment. He finally said, "Well I'll call, but they won't admit a stable child." 15 minutes later, Lia and I were heading to Primary's. We're so lucky to live 30 miles away from Primary Children's. The girls are getting such excellent top notch care there. I can see why people come from surrounding to states to receive care there. It's just a whole different level than Dr. Arrogant and his little man syndrome. This little rant about him has made me feel much better. I should seriously be wearing a warning sign that says "You really don't want to cross me today, especially if it has anything to do with my kids."
So Claire and Lia are little rommies now. I wish I had my video camera when they first saw each other. They were so happy and excited and jumping up and down and trying to touch each other. So sweet. Claire is on a liter of oxygen, regaining strength and still receiving steroids and breathing treatments. Lia was becoming dehydrated, so they hooked her up to IV fluids. Her respiration rate is high, but oxygen saturation level is still fine. She is receiving steroids and breathing treatments. So far so good. Thanks for all the support and love. I have such wonderful family, friends and neighbors.