Saturday, December 27, 2008

Merry Christmas and Fixing Hearts

I hope everyone had a very Merry Christmas! Ours was wonderful. We actually took the babies out to enjoy the festivities... a first for us! Everyone is doing great. The girls are now in between 9 1/2 and 10 1/2 pounds, about triple their birth weights. They are all so chunky :) Really, their rolls have rolls. It's such a welcome sight after seeing them all so thin and sickly looking when they were born. I'm telling you, my breast milk must be cream. We took Lia and Claire to the Cardiologist on the 16th. They both had Echo cardiograms and we were told that both of their PDA's have not closed and they will require surgery to fix the valves. They like babies to be older and bigger for these procedures, but we were told that in about three months these will need to be taken care of. Apparently both of their hearts are enlarged on the left side due to the extra blood flowing through the open valve that should be closed. We will do the surgeries on separate days, because they will need to stay over night and I want to be able to give each baby all of my time and attention after the surgery individually. It shouldn't be a big deal. It sounds pretty routine, but anything like this kind of feels like a big deal. My girls are smiling all the time and Miriam absolutely adores them.

10 comments:

The Johnson Family said...

"Routine" seems like a difficult word to put in the same sentence with a heart procedure! We will hope and pray for you that all will go well. They look fabulous and you look fabulous too! Hope you had a Merry Christmas!

Ashlee said...

I panic when Brooklyn gets a simple cold. When she had the flu I think my mom was going to sign me up for therapy. It's hard when your baby isn't 100%. I'm sure the doctors will take great care with your girls and we'll keep them in our prayers. I love your family pictures...they are adorable!

Sally said...

Good luck with the surgeries! We will keep you all in our prayers!

Freeman Family said...

Good luck. Who is their cardiologist? Primary children's is an excellent hospital. They will do great!

GMW said...

Goodness! Look at how big they are! And there's nothing routine about a heart procedure! Or any kind of procdure when it concerns your baby.
You'll be in our prayers as always!

Jen Panunzio said...

What a beautiful family you have!!! They look so cute! Your family will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers!! Take Care!!!

jessica said...

Oh my gosh, you have the cutest family ever! I need to come and see you, I will call you soon!

Maddie and April Lloyd said...

They are getting so big! Good luck with everything. You are all in our prayers.

coryshay said...

good luck with the surgeries! I hope it all goes well!

Nan and Ryan said...

Oh, your babes are little chunks! That is so fun. I am amazed at what you are juggling. Watch out, I will be calling you for some major advice.