Friday, January 9, 2009

A Sad Day

I'm sad today. My little Lia has been having a little bit of mucousy blood in her poops for the past week and a half. They did a bunch of tests and ruled out infection. The doctor told me that it is most likely an allergy to cows milk, which seems weird since she is 100% breast milk fed. Apparently the cows milk proteins can come through my breast milk from my diet. For the past 4 days I've completely eliminated dairy from my diet (which is actually harder than it seems.) It hasn't helped, actually she's been having even more blood in her poops. I checked in with her pediatrician today. He told me that he still thinks it's a food allergy... could be soy, wheat, corn or a number of other things. He said that it is pretty much impossible to breast feed a baby with such sensitive allergies and told me that I will need to stop breastfeeding her and start giving her a hypo-allergenic formula instead. He said that the number one priority is to stop the bleeding in her intestines caused by irritation from a food allergy, of course I agree. It's disappointing because I have worked SO HARD to be able to breast feed my triplets and finally it has been working perfectly for all three. We have a system going and It makes me so sad to have to stop breastfeeding my Lia. There is nothing sweeter than a nursing baby. Lia is the one who has liked it the best too. She's grunts with pleasure while she nurses then looks up at me and smiles while milk spills out of the sides of her mouth. I'm sure I'll feel better tomorrow. Today I'm just sad.

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Stephanie, I'm sorry. You are amazing to be nursing all three babies. It is always hard for me to wean my babies, even though I'm not too fond of nursing. At least it's just a food allergy and not something more serious. Good luck!

The Johnson Family said...

Oh Steph!! I am SO sorry! I know how devastating that is and how unbelievably hard you have worked to make that work. I think you are absolutely amazing for what you have done. You know how I feel about nursing and how sad it is when it doesn't work out. I hope things continue to go well with Brynn and Claire! Love ya!

Jen Panunzio said...

So sorry to hear Stephanie but I am glad it is not anything too serious. I totally understand how frustrating it is though when you have a routine down with triplets and then something gets in the way. I hope everything works out quickly!

Tiffany said...

Oh you poor thing! Reading this makes me sad and the image of Lia just loving nursing is killing me. I'm glad that they figured out how to make her feel better though! You're such a good mom!

Pead Family said...

I can't beleive how big they have gotten. I haven't checked the blog for awhile and they are so big. What adorable pictures. I am so sorry to hear about the nursing sadness. I hope she gets better!

GMW said...

I'm so sorry. That's very sad. But it's for the best. I hope she gets better real soon.

Julia Deaver said...

Stephanie, Sorry to hear that. It is amazing you have been able to nurse all three! I am amazed by you. I hope things have gotten better.