Thursday, October 9, 2008

An Update on Claire

Claire had another echocardiogram today. Her PDA looks the same. Last week I was told that if it was the same or any worse, we would move on to medication and if that doesn't work we'd move on to surgery. Well, today they told me that in babies as "old" as Claire, the medication rarely works. It has a high success rate if it's used within the first 4 days of life. Surgery is still a possibility, but they want to watch the PDA for awhile longer. They are hopeful it will close on it's own... kind of a different story than I was hearing last week, but I just have to trust that they know what they are doing and will take the best care possible of my little Claire. Oh, and Claire did make some progress today. She latched on and breastfed like she's been doing it for years. That makes her one step closer to coming home!

5 comments:

Natalie said...

Good luck little Claire! We love hearing the updates on the girls and you guys are always in our prayers!

Brig and Ashlee said...

All 4 of your girls are beautiful! Reading your updates reminds me of visiting my sister in the NICU when she was born as a preemie. I hope they all keep improving and are home very soon! I can't believe you're nursing...you are super mom. Best wishes to your family.

Emily said...

Stephanie,

I have been reading your blog, catching up on your crazy life for the past month! You are amazing! I can't imagine incubating triplets, or giving birth to them.

I'm sorry to hear your c-section was so scary! I have had two c-sections, (one emergency and one scheduled) and they both went smoothly. Not that your thinking about your next pregnancy/labor/delivery . . . but I wanted to give you hope that things can go very smoothly even when your gutted open like a deer. :)

I hope all three of your babies continue to progress, and I'll keep your family (especially little Claire) in my prayers. On a lighter note, I had my husband (who is in Med school in clinical rotations) read your post about Claire's PDA and heart problem and he said both of the surgeries/procedures to correct the problems were no big deal. BUT IT'S STILL NOT COMFORTING TO A MOM. I KNOW.

You must be won strong woman. Why else would Heavenly Father give you these challenges?

Good luck to the whole family!

Emily

www.emilysmusings.com

Breanne said...

I am glad for the update on little Claire, I wish it was better news though. Way to go on the breastfeeding though, that is great to hear!

Sara said...

Hi Stephie-

I'm thinking about you and your babies everyday! They're so cute. Give me a call when you get the chance...sorry we didn't get to finish talking the other day. Love ya!
Sara