Sunday, March 1, 2009

Child Exploitation

Exploiting our kids started pretty simple. Derek found a list online of companies who have "multiples programs." If you have twins, triplets or more, you send them a letter along with copies of birth certificates and the companies send you free stuff. We've had stuff coming in the mail for months: diapers, formula, toys, sippy cups, onsies and lots of coupons among other things. Yesterday exploiting our kiddos went to a whole new level. I was out for my regular Saturday trip to the grocery store. It had taken a lot longer than I anticipated. Derek called to tell me to hustle because all the girls were hungry and crying. I was about 30 seconds from home when I looked in my rear view mirror. Oh crap.
Police officer: Hi Ma'am. I'm pulling you over for speeding and I'm going to be honest with you. I'm going to give you a citation.
Me: Oh, Really?
Police Officer: Do you know what the speed limit is through here?
Me: 25?
Police Officer: Ya. Did you even see the flashing sign back there telling you how fast you were going?
Me: Umm, no.
Police Officer: I noticed you were on your phone.
Me: Ya. I have baby triplets at home. My husband was calling to tell me to hurry home because they are all hungry and crying.
Police Officer: Triplets? Wow. Well, do you want me to follow you home? You can take care of them and then we can take care of this.
Me: That's alright. It will only take a couple minutes, right?
So he gave me my ticket and I rushed (not sped) home to feed the babies. After I finished feeding them I was putting Miriam down for nap and Derek came in with my cell. This was the voice mail I had:
"Hi Mrs. Lloyd. This is Officer so-and-so. I just pulled you over and gave you a citation. I'm going to go ahead and void that. I think with triplets you have enough stress in you life."
Fabulous. Who knew they could even do that? Good work baby girls. Way to start pulling some of your own financial weight. Keep it up. Next stop: Tax Return. CHA-Ching.

13 comments:

Andrea said...

LOL!! This post was hilarious! I love that he called you back, what a nice police officer!

jessica said...

HILARIOUS! You crack me up. What a nice police officer!

Jen Panunzio said...

That is awesome!! I will have to try that one next time I get pulled over!! :)

MDtripmom said...

Hehehe, too funny! GO babies!

stacey said...

that is AWESOME!! i can't believe that worked.

peapodsquadmom said...

brilliant move! mention "triplets" and most folks (cops, too, apparently) are thrown completely off their game. good job. and yes, these kids are expensive as all get-out. it's cool when they can pay back a bit. ;-)

The Johnson Family said...

That is awesome! Matt is proud of you. Remember your first time "exploiting" them a little...I just wish we would have thought of it a little earlier that night, we might have made it. I can still remember the parking guys' face, you could tell he didn't know what to say!
You are good, I would be using it all the time!

SuzyO said...

Ha ha ha! Way to go baby girls! I'm going to use that excuse next time! (Just kidding!)

Julia Deaver said...

That is really funny! I think it was silly he gave you the ticket in the first place, but wonderful he dropped it!

Rachel said...

Who knew? What a nice guy. I'll have to try that excuse some time. . ;)

Mel said...

You are so funny. I am glad the officer gave you a break- you seriously deserve one. Your girls are BEAUTIFUL! What a blessing. Good to see what is going on in your busy/tiresome/wonderful life.

Jacob Jen n Behlie said...

Ha Ha!! that is so funny!! Way to go girls!! Your girls are SO cute!! im glad they are doing well. we will keep lia in our prayers.

Maddie and April Lloyd said...

How funny! I love this story!