Thursday, July 31, 2008

Our First Big Milestone

Last week we had two events... first of all I ended up in Labor and Delivery yet again because my contractions wouldn't stop. They must have given me a dozen tests. They informed me that I had a yeast infection (pregnancy is so glamorous) and they said that could be causing contractions, so I was given medication to treat that. They told me I'm anemic (not enough iron) and was slightly dehydrated. They pumped me full of fluids. After about 5 hours my contractions still hadn't stopped. The doctor (who I swear was at least 5 years younger than me, can you be a doctor at 24?) told me that if my contractions didn't stop, I couldn't go home and they may have to admit me. They gave me some medication that finally did calm them down, so I came stumbling home around midnight, exhausted but relieved that everything is alright. By the way, my cervix is still super woman strong, and that's what really matters.
My great news is that on Friday I hit the 24 week mark, which is considered the "viability" point. Most of the time babies born at this point will live, but roughly half would have some type of neurological problems or other long term issues... so of course we're praying every day for our girls to keep cookin' as long as possible. Our next major milestone will be at 28 weeks. At this point babies usually don't have neurological problems, but basically live in the NICU for months. Our goal is 32 weeks, which would be September 19th. I feel like I'm a little kid waiting for Christmas. Maybe I should make a countdown paper chain.

8 comments:

Laurie said...

Yeah, it's amazing how every single day they stay makes a difference. I was reminded of that during my high-risk pregnancy. My baby was a preemie and was in the NICU for two weeks... if it happens, I promise it will be a-ok!

Lots of faith and positive affirmations! I swear what you think and feel makes a huge difference on your physiology. So continue trusting in the Lord, that He has your very best interests at heart.

SuzyO said...

Thanks for the update Steph. I've been meaning to call you to see how you are doing. What are your bedrest hours like? Are you up for visitors?

Girls...you hang in there!

Delgado Fam said...

Steph you don't have a post of your AWESOME shower?! Ha ha jk I am glad everything is okay.. Steve and I are here to help whenever you need it. We need the experience babysitting.. since we will hopefully be starting our little family soon. Love you =)

Andrea said...

This is good news! You should make a paper chain--sounds fun to me! I was hoping for a belly picture!!

chelsie said...

stress! steph, you are the woman! keep those babies cookin! we're thinking about you!

jessica said...

Oh, I'm so happy you have made it to 24 weeks, hang in there. I had early contractions all the time when I was pregnant with Beau, that is not fun at all. In fact, I have a bunch of left over medication to help with contractions if you want it. I will be happy to bring it to you, I want to see your house anyway.

Jen said...

Steph-
You are so cute! And I am glad that you have a super woman strong cervix! It will be great when the little girls come! But, lets hope that they come AFTER September 19!!

The Johnson Family said...

That is such great news! I always sigh a relief after 28 weeks, milestones make a difference. That one is a big one for us. I am just so glad that everything is going well for you guys! It is so exciting these little babies you've got coming! Love Ya!