Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Good news from the NICU

Just a quick update on the girls... they were moved from "room 2" to "room 3." For those of you who are unfamiliar with the different NICU rooms, room 1 is where you don't want the babies to ever have to be. Those babies are considered unstable and that's were babies are typically lost. Room 2 is the more urgent care, but fairly stable. In room 3 they are considered very stable and just need to grow and learn how to feed. My girls had a short stay in room 1 right after they were born and have been in room 2 until a couple of days ago. Derek and I got to the NICU for our nightly visit and saw them wheeling Claire by us in her little isolette on her way to the new room. I'm so proud of my girls! They make little steps of progress and then have small setbacks, which is very typical of preemies. For instance, little Lia was able to come out of her isolette and be in an open crib for a couple of days, but stopped maintaining an appropriate temperature and had to be put back in the isolette. She is still on 1/2 L of oxygen. Brynn and Claire are both completely of of Oxygen. Little Brynn has a small eye infection which I was assured isn't a big deal at all. They girls tolerate their feedings really well and luckily I've been able to pump loads of milk (almost twice the amount they need!) They are gaining weight. As of last night, Lia was at 4 lbs 4oz (up 5 oz from birth) Brynn was at 3lbs 15oz (up 7 oz from birth) and Claire was at 3lbs 8oz (up 4 oz from birth) They are on track to be home by their due date, which would have been November 14th. I'm hopeful that they will be home by Halloween.
Right now my life is just a constant cycle of going back and forth from the hospital (which is a 40 minute drive each way) to spend time with my girls, spending as much quality time as I can with Miriam and pumping, pumping pumping! I'm feeling SOO much better now! I haven't felt this way for months and every day gets better. My belly is very slowly but surely starting to shrink back down, even though I could still pass for 4-5 months pregnant. I've lost 30 of the 40 pounds I gained during my pregnancy and figure the last 10 will be pretty slow to come off. I am just in absolute awe of what my body was able to do in carrying and giving life to these three babies. I couldn't feel more blessed.

Derek, Miri and I with Lia. This was one of the days she was in an open crib dressed in regular preemies clothes. Even though she's now back to being in the toasty isolette in just her diaper, I'm know she'll be back out soon. And below is my mom with Claire. Claire seems so much tinier than the other two. Holding her feels like you're holding a beenie baby.

15 comments:

Natalie said...

I'm so glad the girls are doing well and that you are feeling so good! Yeah for you guys! We are still thinking of you and hope things continue to get better each day!

Greg and Sarah said...

Such cute girls that is awesome that they are making such great progress. We continue to remember you all in our prayers!

Andrea said...

40 lbs. with triplets? I gained that much with just one! That is crazy. Anyway, I love these updates and am so happy that your girls are making progress. Keep posting pictures!!

The Johnson Family said...

Yeah!! What great news. Thanks for these updates, we are all thinking about you and those babies- keep it coming! You are in our thoughts and prayers- we love ya!

Tiffany said...

You look amazing and I'm so happy to hear that the babies are doing so well! I still can't believe you have lost almost all of your weight...remind me that you can't visit after I have 1 baby and have 60 lbs to lose!

Jessica said...

You don't know me, but I totally just relate so much to your story. The early labor, the pre-eclampsia that came out of nowhere, the deer in the headlights, you are having an emergency c-section, baby in NICU. It is so scary. I am glad you and your little ones are all okay. Congrats and I hope they come home to you soon.

Delgado Fam said...

Yay!! I am so glad you are doing better. You look FANTASTIC in your picture! How do you do that?! Well anyway I love ya.. I am so happy for you.

The Gibby's said...

Congratulations Derek and Steph! I can't imagine all the emotion you are feeling each day. Sounds as if your hospital stay was.....intense. I'm glad that you are feeling better and that those adorable babies are getting stronger and will soon be able to go home!

Sweet Tweets Boutique said...

So, So Soooo cute! I'm glad you are doing better and so are the girls. I still can't believe you have FOUR kids! I'm so happy for you!

Amanda C said...

That is so great! I hope they keep improving. I am glad you are feeling better too.

TheShippenFamily said...

They are so beautiful!! Just like Miriam. I would like to bring you dinner and gifts for the girls when you are ready for it.

SuzyO said...

What a great update! I'm so happy for your family. I hope the girls continue to grow and advance.

We are still praying!

Rachel said...

I'm glad to hear things are going well and that you are feeling better! I can't wait to meet these little gals some day!

Jen said...

I am so happy that you are doing well and the girls are making such great progress! I think about all of you every time I pass by the NICU.

Jessica said...

We are good friends of Brent and Rebecca here in Minnesota...we were at their house today and they let us know the triplets arrived and we just wanted to say congrats! They are beautiful!