Monday, September 15, 2008

The Truth Comes Out

Disclaimer: This post is going to sound whiny... which isn't my intention at all, just wanting to make sure that I'm shedding a little light on all sides of this incredible experience I'm going through. Derek was looking at our blog yesterday and had a good point. He said that my posts are always cheery and make this pregnancy look easy, and it's not. SOOO without wanting to sound like a complainer, I'm going to share with you some of the more real and ugly parts of being pregnant with triplets. If I've made it look easy, I'm a big liar. We'll start with the nights, seeing as right now that's where I am... It's 3 am and I can't sleep. I can usually fall asleep alright around 10:30 or 11:00 pm. Roughly every 1 1/2 hours I'm up to pee. That part is sort of annoying, but really the hardest part is that it feels like a total workout to get out of bed. Honestly, I feel like I am an elderly obese woman with arthritis (and an over active bladder problem.) By 3:00 or4:00 am I'm usually awake for the day, I just can't sleep. The days are long. I take care of Miriam the best I can, but we end up watching a lot of movies- which is something I've always really limited with her. We read books and color, but it's nearly impossible for her to sit on my lap anymore. I get a lot of help with Miriam, which then makes me feel like a bum mom pawning my kid off on others. She doesn't seem to mind and has a lot of fun, I just want to be the one she is having fun with. I try and drink 100 oz of fluid per day, but I kid you not, even water gives me heartburn. Food tastes terrible, but I gag down as much protein as I can to put weight on these kiddos. Oh, and my ribs... I seriously think they might be dislocated. Ouch. My contractions are painful, like real labor, like the kind where you can't move can't breath through it type of contraction. My doc said as long as I'm not having more than 4 an hour to not worry about it. When I do have more than 4 an hour I take medication that slows down the contraction but gives me a killer headache and pretty much makes me feel like crap for about 24 hours. And then there is the emotional part... everything makes me cry. I'm such a sap! Also, I don't really go anywhere and it gets lonely and a little depressing. And I have to be honest that I'm scared to death to take care of these three little babies all at once. I think about it constantly. How in the world am I going to give all of them what they need all at the same time? I worry about Miriam being tossed to the side as well. These things are always on my mind.
Well, I could go on, but I think I've shared enough rays of sunshine for one day. Plus, I really have to go to the bathroom again. BUT before I go, let me just say that this is honestly the greatest blessing of my life. It wasn't very long ago I wondered if I'd ever be a mom, and now I've been blessed with my 4 girls. I've made it through the crucial part of my pregnancy with no complications. If the girls were born today they should be just fine and there is nothing like feeling them move inside of me all at the same time. Life is good.

10 comments:

Greg and Sarah said...

I dont think that you ever made it sound like being pregnant with triplets was easy. But you certainly shed some new light. I sure hope everything works well for you as I am sure it will. You and Derek are so amazing. I have looked up to Derek for years, I am sure that you will have a pretty hectic life for the first little bit but you figure it all out. We are not too far from you guys if you ever need help with anything!

Andrea said...

Thanks for sharing this part of your pregnancy. I love the positive things you've posted, but the real stuff is nice too. Sounds like regular pregnancy, but intensified and multiplied by MORE than 3! I think you're both incredible brave and I can't wait to read more about life with 4 girls!!

Jen said...

Stephanie,
You have no idea how much I admire you! You are doing the greatest job in the world and you do it beautifully! You will not be taking care of these girls yourself. We all are here to pitch in. Pregnancy is not fun-- no matter how you look at it. I can hardly carry one at a time, let alone three! You are doing awesome!

Ashley S. said...

You are such a trooper, and you deserve to tell us all how hard it is! I cant even imagine what it must be like for you, and your positive outlook is amazing. Hang in there!!

Miss Rachel said...

I'm so proud of you steph, I know that sounds silly, but you really are a champ.

Rachel said...

Stephanie, you are amazing. I can't think of a better woman to raise these three (four with Miriam) girls. They will be well cared for. The Lord wouldn't send them your way without providing a means to care for them. Way to keep them in there for so long. That is seriously amazing (coming from the Labor and Delivery Social Worker!) I can't wait to see them!

bloggingchristy said...

Thanks for this blog, Stephanie! You are going through alot, and I wasn't trying to take anything away from you by saying that you look so good (you really do)!

You and Derek seem like such good parents and although I'm sure it will be rough at times, like you said, it is amazing that you will be able to have 4 beautiful girls by the time this is over!

Good luck!

Pead Family said...

You poor thing. I am glad that you posted this, now we can all sympathize with you. I can only imagine having 3 in there trying to lug around. You are a great mom, but have to do your best in both the born & the unborn. Relax and focus on more time in that belly. I am sure that it so hard. Good luck!

Breanne said...

Steph, you are doing such an amazing job! I know that this hasn't been easy, but you have been such a good sport during all of the ups and downs. I look up to you and Derek so much! You guys are going to be wonderful parents to all four of your girls! We are going to be there to help and support you in any way we can.

jessica said...

You are AMAZING! You can complain all you want. Of course you know how blessed you are, but it's not easy. Being pregnant with one isn't easy, so I can't imagine being pregnant with three. You are going to be the best mom to all of your daughters, they are so lucky to have you and Derek for their parents.