Friday, September 26, 2008

A very over due update on my incredibly adorable little preemies

First off, I just need to apologize to all of my friends and family and others whose calls/emails/texts I haven't returned. I love each of you and I'm so sorry to leave you out of the loop. I hope I haven't offended anyone. I appreciate so much your concern and prayers and I will be getting a hold of each of you soon.
So, let me introduce you to my beautiful girls. Penny, a wonderful NICU nurse took these pics.
Meet Lia, aka "baby A." She was the first born at 8:01 am. She has always been the biggest and was born weighing 3 lbs 14 oz. Despite being our biggest, initially she had the most trouble. She only scored 6/10 on her APGAR and they had to put her on a ventilator to breath for her. Fortunately, she was able to come off the vent the next day. She is now only on 1/2 L of Oxygen. She is gaining weight and doing so well. She is our furry little monkey and has fuzz covering her shoulders :)




Little Brynn, our "baby B" was born 1 minute after her sister at 8:02 weighing in at 3lbs 8 oz. She initially was doing great and scored 9/10 on her APGAR. The next day she took a turn for the worse and had to go on the Ventilator, but that didn't last long either. She was off the vent the next day and is now just on 1 L of oxygen. She has shown the most personality. One nurse described her as "feisty." She very much prefers breast feeding... something a little unusual for how young she is (usually is takes them awhile to get used to the sucking and Lia and Claire have been moderately interested) This little one just goes to town. Her little mouth opens SOO wide and she sucks like there's no tomorrow. :)



And last, our little runt Claire was born at 8:03 am. She was the tiniest weighing 3 lbs 4 oz. Even though she is our smallest, she has had the fewest problems. Apparently that's common for the smallest. They've had to fight so hard that often they are the strongest. She scored 9/10 on her APGAR and has never needed the ventilator. She is now on just 1/2 L of oxygen. I cant even express how happy and grateful that my girls are here and doing so well. If all goes as planned, they should most likely be home in about a month.

So, I'll back up a little and tell you about the craziest week of my life. Like I said in my earlier post, the news that they were coming so soon was a complete surprise. I barely slept Thursday night. I laid in my hospital bed in shock. I felt my babies moving in me just overwhelmed with what the morning would bring. It felt too soon... I had expected to carry these babies for several more weeks and knew that 32 weekers are still very premature and have the potential for serious issues.

The C-section is like a nightmare I don't even like to think about. I was terrified. I think I just really was not mentally prepared for this yet. Everything had happened so suddenly. I was shaking uncontrollably. They kept putting warm blankets on me until I was sweating. I wasn't cold, just terrified of the procedure and terrified for my babies. A C-section is so surreal. I heard them announce that they were going to start cutting and then it was a lot of pulling, tugging and ciaos. The only baby I saw was Brynn for a split second and she was the only one I heard let out a cry. After they put me back together and stitched me up, they wheeled me through the NICU to see my girls. This is all pretty fuzzy in my mind.

Over the course of the next few days I got really sick. I had lost half of my blood during the surgery and had to have a blood transfusion. My oxygen sats kept dropping down in the 70's. I'm not sure why my body wanted to stop breathing. I had some internal bleeding as well. After the blood transfusion I got really sick. I remember holding my stomach so afraid that my incision was going to rip open because I was throwing up so violently. I had an elias (which I guess is where the bowel twists and blocks after your bowels are put back in you after surgery- not sure if that's the correct spelling either) which was tons of fun too. Every nurse or doctor that would check my abdomen would gasp and say something like "I've never seen bruising like that" or "What happened to you?" Even my doctor and the resident who did the c-section seemed so puzzled as to why my bruising is so terrible. It covers my whole abdomen, wraps around my back and goes down the side of my thighs. Needless to say, those first 3 days of my babies lives were a nightmarish blur, but little by little I started getting better. I am a world better know and just so incredibly grateful that my girls are doing so well. They are so sweet, so adorable and I can't even express how much I love these three little tiny people.
I have more pictures to post later, so stay tuned!

24 comments:

Ashley S. said...

Ahh! I am so glad that everything is going well. How adorable are they, and they seem like they are all little fighters!!! I am sorry you had some complications, that is not fun. Congratulations and good luck to all of you!

Cyndi said...

they are so adorable! what a good mama you are! hope you feel better!

Andrea said...

I LOVE this post and the pictures of your beautiful girls. CONGRATS!! I can't wait to see more!

Kallas Family said...

congrats!! They are adorable! I am glad you and the girls are doing better!!

MDtripmom said...

Congratulations! I'm sorry that you had such a rough experience but I'm glad to hear that things are much better and that your little girls are thriving...what beauties!

Emily (the queen) said...

Congratulations!!! I have been constantly checking to see some pictures of your cute babies. I am glad everything went well and they pictures are just too cute!

Laurie said...

They're gorgeous, Stephanie! Congratulations!

My baby was in the NICU at the U for two weeks. They're SO great there! Just a little unsolicited advice from one NICU mom to another: Be sure to take home three preemie diapers (they'll let you, I promise), and ask to keep any little trinkets. For example, our nurses let us take home Micah's blood pressure cuff and leads that monitored his heart rate and temperature. Those make for some really great scrapbooking items... but most importantly, they'll serve as a reminder to your girls of their divine nature and ability to overcome adversity.

My tiny, fragile baby is now healthy, rambunctious toddler. Your babies will be big and strong before you know it!

I don't know if you've been discharged yet, but I know it is SO hard to have your heart at the hospital. But think of it as a blessing... you can heal up while caring and compassionate nurses are there for your babies' every whim! By the time they come home, YOU'll be strong enough to care for them throughout the night. And that's what's most important: You have to get healthy because they NEED you to.

Enough rambling. Rest up and enjoy your newly-expanded family!

PS There's yummy frozen yogurt down in the cafeteria. Just saying!

The Johnson Family said...

Steph and Derek that is SO wonderful and I am so excited to have the update. I am so sorry that things have been so rough, I hope that things turn around very quickly for your family. I know that you still have a lot in front of you, but I hope you can have comfort as you move on and joy with your 4 beautiful girls! We love you and continue to pray for your family! Love ya!

Natalie said...

Thank you for the update and pictures - we have been checking daily to see how everything is going. So glad all is well!

chelsie said...

thanks so much for the pictures! They are absolutely adorable! Congratulations to you guys. I am glad they are doing well, and hopefully you are doing well also. You went through some crazy stuff! Good luck you guys!

Tiffany said...

I am so glad that everyone is doing well! What a scary experience for you, but I'm glad that you're getting better. Your girls are beautiful and I can't wait to meet them!!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

congratulations, they are just so precious and absolutely beautiful! welcome to the world lia, brynn & claire!

SuzyO said...

Whew! I was getting worried! I almost called Blake and Danielle for an update! I'm SO glad to know the worst is behind you, and that the babies are doing so well. You had a pretty scary week...get well soon. Call me when you can. (I hope you got my message!)

Lots of love and prayers from my house to your family...

Delgado Fam said...

Hi Stephie! I am SO glad to see that you are doing better.. especially from when I last saw you. Your babies are so precious. And they are so healthy. I know you were scared for a while but it looks like everything is just falling into place. I know it will be tough to get to the hospital everyday but let Steve or I know if you need help with Miriam. We would be so glad to help! Have fun with the 3 little ones and know that you have family and friends willing to help you out with anything.. you're not alone in this! Love ya

-Shmoobs

Jen Panunzio said...

Congratulations Stephanie!!! They are adorable and before you know it they will be home with you. If you have any questions or just need to talk email me!! I am so happy for you guys!! Hope you are feeling better!! Take Care!

Rachel said...

They are beautiful. I'm glad they are doing so well. I'm sorry your c-section was so awful though. I've thought about you and your family so much. It's nice to finally see pictures. Lots of love! Take Care!

jessica said...

I am so sorry about everything with your c-section. I can't imagine having a c-section and then getting so sick afterwards. I'm glad that you are finally feeling better and that your little cuties are out and doing well. They are beautiful! I am so happy for you and Derek, you two have been on an emotional roller coaster for a while now. Thanks so much for the update!

Juli said...

Wow, hope you are doing better. I got a bit teary eyed reading about it all. They are beautiful girls. Hang in there, you did great!

Pead Family said...

Oh my goodness! They are absolutely beautiful! What adorable dolls. I can't believe your story. You poor girl, I can't even imagine what you must have been going through. I am so happy that you are doing better and that the girls are all doing better too. Thanks for the update, I have been checking it a ton!

Casey said...

Steph,
I am so happy for you guys and so glad to hear you are all doing well. What an amazing experience, and I guess its all just beginning!

Breeana said...

Congrats - they are so adrorable - I love their little bows on their tiny heads. I hope you get feeling better!

Amanda C said...

Congratulations! I am so glad you are recovering and the little girls are absolutely precious. You are still in my prayers and I hope it just keeps getting better from here on out.

GMW said...

Oh, I am speechless. They are so beautiful. I'm sorry to read that you had such a hard first few days, and am so happy that you're doing better. Congratulations a million times over you guys!
I've been wanting to call, but decided to wait for things to settle down a little.
We are still here, and we're still thinking of you. Please, let us know if there's ever anything we can do!

love,

Gabrielle

Michelle said...

Congratulations on the birth of your precious baby girls.


All my best,
Michelle