Sunday, November 9, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Wednesday turned out to be quite chaotic. Both my mom and Derek's mom wanted to be here when the babies came home, which was great because we needed someone to watch Miri. Well, my mom ended up with a terrible cold and poor Carol had an awful stomach flu. We didn't have anyone to watch Miri and little kids are not welcome in the NICU for more than 15 minutes. We ended up taking Miri to her Aunt Becky's house after Beck got off work and showed up 4 hours late to pick up the girls. Also, it snowed like crazy that day. We literally had over a foot of snow at our house. We loaded the girls up and headed home. Derek had a dream back in high school when we were dating that he was driving and I was sitting in the passenger seat. He looked in the back seat and saw two car seats. I bet if he would have kept looking he would have seen two more car seats on the third row of the mini van. Sheesh. The ride home, which is usually 40 minutes was over an hour after picking up Miri and braving the slushy roads. After we got Miri in the car, she pointed to Lia and said "Whose that?" We got the babies home and before we could even get them out of their car seats, they all started to cry. I was unsuccessfully trying to feed two at a time and then I started to cry... things have calmed down quite a bit since. Bless every NICU nurses heart who helped to get these girls on a schedule. They eat every 3 hours in the day and every 4 hours at night, and have been pretty content in between. We'll just keep taking it a day at a time!

13 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, Steph! They are beautiful! I am amazed at how well you guys are doing. You are one awesome Mom!

Jessica said...

Congratulations. I am so glad they could all come home to you.

Sweet Tweets Boutique said...

I seriously cry every time I read a post from you! Its got to be so hard, but so very rewarding at the same time. I still remember when I met you and how terrible I felt for you that you were not able to have kids...HELLO!!! We are probably doing IVF at the begining of the yr and who knows...I could be following in your foot steps! You are a wonderful mother and a wonderful friend. I'm so happy to know you!!! Call me!! I'd LOVE to come help. I'M SERIOUS TOO!

burgoyneteam said...

Steph, they are so cute! It sounds like constant crazyness. I can't even imagine. You are the best person I know to have 3 babies at once. You are so patient and loving. I'm sure it's hard but I'm also sure they couldn't be in better hands!! Congratulations -- they are soooooo darling!!!!

Laurie said...

How exciting to see them all come home, all at the same time! Your family has been incredibly blessed... and at Thanksgiving, too. How apropos!

It's so scary bringing home a preemie, I totally know (let alone three)! But don't worry Steph, you know them and understand their needs better than anyone. So trust that. Plus, I bet Miri is going to come in super handy real soon. Yet another blessing. :)

Andrea said...

Welcome home to the babies!! I love the pictures!

Ashley S. said...

congratulations on the homecoming. How scary, yet so wonderful! I am glad that you can finally be home with your whole family. If you ever need anything (a playdate for Miri) dont hesitate. We are here for you!

MDtripmom said...

Congrats! Now the real fun begins!

Natalie said...

That's a great picture of them all lined up in their carseats - so glad you made it home safe and sound!

Delgado Fam said...

oh my gosh they are so adorable!! i cant wait till i see them.. it will be soon

Maddie and April Lloyd said...

I can't wait to see them! Todd and I are so sad we are far away right now. Please let us know if you need anything!

Tiffany said...

Oh you poor girl... I'm sorry Wednesday was so horrible. Your little ones are beautiful and you are a great mother!

coryshay said...

Your girls are just adorable!! I think you are supermom!! I have a hard time with one and look how fabulous you are doing with 4! I love the photos!