Sunday, November 2, 2008

Let the fun begin

This morning Derek and I were informed that our girls will come home on Wednesday. I have wanted them to come home so badly, but the news made me feel a little bit of panic. I can't even imagine how my crazy house is going to run. I don't function well on little sleep, I really like my house clean and love schedules. I'm going to just need to get over all of that. We had a great nurse at the NICU today. Her name is Becca and she is actually the one who resuscitated my little Lia after she was born and wasn't able to breath on her own and had to go on the Ventilator. I think she saw in my face that I'm a little nervous. People are constantly saying things to me like "I don't know how you are going to do this" and "I could never do that." While I totally understand why people say things like that, I would have said the same thing to someone in this type of a situation before I was thrown into it. But really, I just needed to hear someone say "You can do this, you will do this and you will do it well." Becca did. She told me that she has watched Derek and I since day one and that she knows we will do this wonderfully and the babies will be great. Thank you Becca! That encouragement meant the world to me. We were really surprised at how quickly this all happened. The girls have taken off with their feedings. They are now doing on demand feedings and eating tons. We thought some other things might keep them in the NICU longer, but apparently not! Lia will come home on Oxygen. She has had a bacterial infection called C-Diff (aka cooties) Anyone who touches her has to pretty much put on haz mat gear but they are going to let her come home anyway. She has had to be so patient waiting for her needs to be met while people suit up in the plastic gown and gloves. Her sweet little cry sounds like a goat. :) This past week we found out that little Lia has the exact same 2 heart issues that Claire has. She has an ASD and PDA. They are not going to treat at this point, just watch it and we will have to follow up with cardiology. They say it's random that they both have the exact same conditions, but I'm not convinced. I'm not a super smart girl, but in my mind there has to be some other sort of explanation. I took a lot of medications to get these babies and I hope that didn't negatively affect their development. Since the heart is one of the first major things to develop it seem like the strong hormone medications could still have been in my body. Luckily these conditions are treatable - if they even end up needing treatment. Only time will tell.

12 comments:

Rachel said...

Good luck Stephanie! I'm glad you had such a great nurse. I'll just affirm what she said. You will do a good job with these girls. Not to say it won't be crazy, but you can ask for help and you have a wonderful support system around you to fill in the gaps! A year from now you'll be in the swing of things and feeling good! Just keep going!

jessica said...

Steph! You are one person that I can say YOU CAN DO THIS! You are an amazing person and mommy. Derek is amazing also, and I'm sure will be such a big help, along with family and friends. Please please let me know if there is ANYTHING I can ever do for you. I would love to have Miriam come over and play. Thanks for the update!

SuzyO said...

Wahoo! Let the fun begin! Call me when you are settled...I can't wait to photograph your cute little girls!

And, yes, Steph, YOU can do it! (If anyone can, it is you!)

Jer and Aub said...

Stephanie- I think you and Derek are so amazing! I sincerley hope that you know that I am more than willing to come help for a day if you need me. You are doing something wonderful bringing these three children to the earth at the same time. I don't know anyone else who COULD do it with such strenght and optimism.

Jen Panunzio said...

I am so happy for you guys and you are so lucky to actually have all 3come home together. That was one of the hard things for me was having two home and one still in the hospital...having to take care of the two and still find time to visit the one in the hospital. And yes you can do this!! People still tell me "I don't know how you do it" but I tell them you just do...you have no other option. And being organized is a good thing! :) Take Care and I will be thinking of you Wednesday night!!!

Natalie said...

Yeah! I'm so excited that they get to come home! You guys will do great! Seriously - I want to help and I'm not just saying that. Will you please let me know when I can come help out with Miriam or just help hold the girls - I would love it! Keep in touch and good luck!

Breanne said...

That is so exciting Steph! I can't believe your babies are finally going to come home! You guys are going to do an amazing job! I am so glad to hear that they are all in a place with their health that they can!

Amanda C said...

Congratulations! You will do great!

The Gibby's said...

You CAN do it Steph. The Lord wouldn't give you this challenge if you weren't up to it. He must think very highly of you and Derek to trust you with those three beautiful girls. You two are amazing people and I think the highest of you both. Congrats on being able to bring your girls home!!

bloggingchristy said...

You WILL do great! Look how many people believe in you? I'm more worried about Derek with 5 girls! The question is will he survive? (You know I'm kidding, he is VERY lucky!)

I'm so glad that they can come home and that you had such wonderful nurses in the hospital, that must've made the experience more wonderful!

Shayla said...

Of course you can do it! It is the most amazing experience --- please know I am around if you need to chat. How neat that they all get to come home at once. Enjoy all your little people! Once they are home, it feels like everyone grows warp speed. :)

chelsie said...

good luck steph and derek! you guys will be great! I am so excited for you that they get to come home. No more daily trips to the NICU! Have fun with your little girls!